Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Shenpa, Shenpa Everywhere, And Nary a Drop to Drink

I've amused myself during my evening work session by finding and playing Pema Chodron's Youtube clips on various aspects of her Buddhist practice. I'm working on writing a yoga class lesson plan meant to assist my friend's high blood pressure. I'm listening to Pema's gentle words because addiction has asked for my attention lately.

And, bottom line, I think Shenpa describes addiction pretty well.

Not me, by the way. Well, at least not with illegal substances. It's an old friend who is struggling with alcoholism and depression who I hope to help with some Buddhist tools.

But if you broaden addiction out to include food, or relationships, hmm, well then, maybe it does get a little too close to home for comfort.

I've also been thinking of Shenpa as I read The End of Overeating by David Kessler, M.D. You can't read his depictions of what hyperstimulating food does to the brain without thinking of substance abuse and even infatuation. All types of Shenpa - all scratching at the itches of life.

*******

On a different note, I took a fun quiz at Yoga Journal to find out what yoga style is best for me. The answer is Kundalini - big surprise! I've been a yoga mutt so far, practicing a hybrid style at my favorite studio. My teacher training was based on Ashtanga; I'm apprenticing in an Iyengar class. But my favorite of all is Kundalini with its energy flow, chanting, and spirituality.

I popped over to a Kundalini site and picked out a spiritual name: Mere Piere. I just liked the look and sound of it. (Does anyone know what it means?)

Mere Piere, signing off, and wishing you a Shenpa-less time (or at least some kind self-learning).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Shenpa is a great way of describing addiction, and the whole of buddhist psychology can be seen as our 'addiction to self'... Have you suggested AA too? I've experience of the twelve step programmes and there really is NO substitute. Takes a bit of getting into and not everyone's cup of tea but really the best hope anyone could have.

Jennifer said...

Hi Marie! My name is Jennifer and I've been reading your blog for a long time...I added it to my blog roll about a year ago and as of late...it has become the pathway to an entire network of yogis and yoginis! :D I have just committed to becoming a yoga teacher and will start my training in July....I live in Alberta, Canada and my favorite yoga is Kundalini as well! I just discovered it and I think its amazing! I love yoga and I really appreciate your blog...Thank you!

Namaste,

Jennifer

ps...I have so much to learn!!!! :D

Marie said...

Thanks, Fiona. I have suggested AA and I will continue too. I also found info on Al Anon meetings for her roommate/friend who brought these concerns to me. But, as you know, my friend has to want to get help, and want to change the habits that she is so used to, before she will be ready for AA or any kind of improvement.

I hope she'll decide to help herself, and let herself be helped. She's a wonderful, caring, intelligent, artistic person and her life is being literally thrown away into pain from the past and depression.

Marie said...

Hi Jennifer!

How lovely to meet you! I think you'll love your teacher training - there is so much to learn. Yoga never ends; it just keeps unfolding.

Let me know how it goes!

Namaste,
Marie