Monday, July 27, 2009

Reflecting (Or: Moving Back Through the Folds of Time)

I must be up against a self-imposed deadline for a proposal. You can tell because I'm spending time poring through my blog. I've scrolled back into 2008 and my cursor is zipping backwards through the days, skimming the surface of my old thoughts like an insect skating above the pond.

I'm impressed. Overall, my writing's not spectacular and it's not horrible. It's a fabulous scrapbook, a collection of thoughts and impressions, hopes and frustrations that takes me right back into those vanished moments. That's one of the beauties of writing, eh, it's magical, connective ability?

My husband wanders into the room, takes one look at my screen, and says, "Oh, God, you ARE stressed out." See, I told him.

Still though, I'm glad for the retrospective. I had forgotten things that were important, things I sort of knew but that aren't at the top of my thoughts. Like, I'm planning to live to be 93. I do think that's been at the back of my mind, serving as an unconscious guide for the last few months. Sometimes when I feel a bit panicked or despairing, I take a deep breath and remind myself that I still have tons of time to achieve what I want.

Also, I apparently plan to have at least two more careers in the next five decades. Right now, I'd say freelance writer and maybe college instructor. But I'm flexible. Could be famous novelist. Could be yoga studio owner. Could be... hmm.

And, I see life as one big fun Hayride. Yeah, I totally forgot that one in the stresses of early 2009. But I like it - it's a good philosophy. I don't do myself any favors when I get so pressured and tense and ego-winny-achievy-attachy about things like work and money and stuff and relationships.

Obviously, you're doing something similar. You're keeping a blog so that you leave behind a trail of yourself on your different days. What do you like best about your blog and the blogs of others?

No comments: