Friday, December 4, 2009

Do You Collect Procks?

Fiona's blog planting words gives me the term "procks" to type in and validate my comment. Immediately, I begin to imagine. First to mind springs Prufrock and memories of learning Eliot in a shabby classroom of long ago.

Next I see it as an endearment for Pet Rocks. Procks. I like it.

Fiona collects small stones that are really clever, concise writings, as descriptive as haiku. I tend to collect actual stones, picking up small, often nondescript rocks from the park, the beach, the sidewalk as I go about my days.

They spill through my car, on my dresser, across my mantle. I usually don't even remember where they're from exactly, just that each rock spoke to me and wanted to be picked up and carried along for a while. After a bit, I set them free back into the world.

From now on, I will call them procks.

2 comments:

* said...

That is funny! I'm a huge Planting words/Fiona fan, too. Love her; she is like a breath of fresh air!

When I visited the UK last month, I gathered some little rocks, too, and took them home. One was smooth and thin and round, I thought it could be an old Roman coin.

Procks. Great word!!

Marie said...

What a lovely-sounding prock souvenir! Like bringing a bit of the UK home with you - almost magical when you think about it!

What's not to love about Fiona? Her blog is soothing and inspiring AND she's got great taste in poems!!

I looked up Assurance after visiting Chocolate Chip Waffle - it's a lovely poem as well. I particularly loved the last line!