Friday, December 4, 2009

On impermenance...

Things change, and things stay the same.

My favorite café will be closing at the end of the month. I’ve been coming here for years, although less often in the last couple. Yet another business lost to the pressure of this no-nonsense economy.

When my daughters were quite young, we would come here together every week. On Fridays, we would get our fruits and vegetables fresh from the Farmer’s Market, then drop in here to eat crispy golden waffles and read picture books I’d brought along. After my older daughter started school, it made for a special outing for B and me.

Now I come here alone, in the midst of errands, and spend some time working and writing. This place has been part of my routines across many changes of the seasons and many parts of my life.

The sister café to this one, in a downtown location, will remain open. They will start selling the delicious waffles. So it’s not exactly a final ending, just a transition.

Like so much of life.

No comments: