Monday, March 9, 2009

Meditation Practice

An advanced Buddhist Meditator instructed a portion of our Yoga Teacher Training this weekend. She led us through three short meditations, an experience so enjoyable that it has only strengthened my desire to embrace meditation as a form of play and prayer. ( I say play because I don't want to approach meditation with goals and agenda - it's counterproductive.)

During the first session, I was so focused on calming my mind and following the breath in and out of my nostrils that I didn't notice my legs slowly, very calmly, falling asleep. When the gong ended our 15 minutes, I tried to unfold myself only to find that I had no sensation whatsoever from the pelvis down. Complete absolute numbness. I had to move my legs with my arms. No pain, no tingles, just nothingness from half of my body.

Which proves what I've suspected- my legs are way more advanced than my mind!! :)

It was an interesting experience. I stayed very calm and feeling came back gently over the next few minutes as I let myself stretch out.

The three Poisons that lead to suffering, according to Buddhist teaching:
1. Desire (as in greed, longing, dissatisfaction, and also clinging and attachment)
2. Aggression (violence, but also Resistance which is a subtler form of violence)
3. Ignorance (not knowing or recognizing, but also Ignoring)

Sitting in meditation doesn't achieve the goal of wiping the mind clean or stopping thoughts. Thoughts simply don't stop. What it can do is teach us to have that bit of space, that Equanimity of mind that lets us stay a bit more balanced as the chaos of life arises.

No comments: