Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Small Miracle

While I was holed away in my study the other night, making my way through my workload (yes, I was actually working despite my whining!) and complaining about my therapist, my wonderful husband was being an extraordinary father. He and the girls were in the kitchen, making cookies from a recipe we found in a library book. As I typed, the rattle of pans and the clinking of spoons mixed with their chattering and floated in to soothe me.

I just wanted to tell you in the interest of balance. It's easy to get to a place of venting or complaining, but life is always more rich and complex than that alone. And more happy.

I finished my work and was rewarded with oatmeal-chocolate rich warm cookies and cold milk. I am so incredibly lucky!! and grateful!!

The recipe follows below if you want to try it out at home :)

Sophie’s Cookies

From the book
Believing Sophie
By Hazel Hutchins

Cream together:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

Mix in:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Lastly add:
2 cups rolled oats
1 overflowing cup of M&Ms

Stir until well mixed.

The dough may be crumbly, but if you use your hands it will form easily into balls. For large cookies, the balls should be golf-ball sized or bigger. Smaller cookies are also very good. Set cookie balls on a greased cookie sheet and flatten them gently with your fingers to a nice cookie thickness. Bake at the top of the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until a pale golden brown. They are best when cooked through but not overcooked or hard.

Makes at least 1 dozen large or 3 dozen small cookies. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... my favorite cookie of all time. Raisins don't belong in cookies. *Chocolate* belongs in cookies. I make mine with semi-sweet chips. Might have to make some tonight, in fact.....

Unknown said...

I love the moments that intercept the negativity - the laughter of my son or the hugs from my youngest daughter.

I'm grumpy by nature, but even my acerbic shell crumbles when confronted by the acts of my children.

And thanks for the recipe. now I'm hungry AND no longer grumpy.