Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Wish I Had a Million Dollars...


"Gray day. Everything is gray. I blink, but nothing moves today."


This line from one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books spins around in my head as I walk through the overcast morning. I've been sitting at my computer for a stretch, dutifully and enjoyably working, but I had to get out for a bit. Get some fresh, cool air. Stretch my legs.


Otherwise, I am just sitting, sitting, sitting. And, let's face it, my house is very quiet... and a bit lonely.


I like walking because my mind relaxes and new thoughts come up. It's good exercise and it's good thinking.


Today I find myself worrying about my friends. Seems like I know so many people who are struggling just a bit too much right now. "I wish I had a million dollars," I think, imagining the wonderous good it could do for those folks.


If I had a million dollars, I wouldn't change much in my own life. Sure, I'd paint the house and upgrade our 16 year old car. It would be nice to take a vacation that actually involved an airplane and a stay of more than two nights. But, all in all, I see that the life I lead is already luxurious. In many ways, I am already just about as rich as I need to be for optimal comfort.


No, what I would do if I had an obscene amount of cash is share it. Now, honestly, it would take more than a million, because a million's just not what it used to be.


Still, though, if I win the lottery or some other incredible twist of fate, I would love to give you a hand, a boost. A lovely little gift that lets you feel stable. Just a little help from somewhere in life. I wish I could help my friends in need and some of these amazing nonprofit causes too.


If my friend had the rent she could take her kids and finally leave her jerk of a husband. My other friend is struggling under the weight of credit cards. My blog friends need house repairs. There are so many of us, all trying the best we know how. So many stories and worthy needs I can think of just off the top of my head.


Who knows? Maybe someday...


We can all dream.


No comments: