Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Just Do It

Feminist critic Judith Butler says, "Gender is performative." That's one of my favorite quotes. It deepens the more you think about it.

I would say that lots of things are performative. Happiness, for one. Also writing.

After a tumultuous couple of months, I just enjoyed the best Spring Break ever with my family. We went to three Science Museums, the beach, Palm Springs, Los Angeles and our beloved San Diego. I don't know if I can express the contentment I experienced lying in the white bed of our little inn, looking past the white ruffled curtains at the streaming early sunshine and listening to the sounds of traffic from the street below. Knowing that in a few minutes I would be strolling with my family to a cafe to get fresh baked bread and a steaming mocha. Everything in my life seems to be falling into place in such a happy, fulfilling way.

Because happiness is performative.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you!

I cannot WAIT until we go on our own "spring break"

Might be 2020, but hey, that gives me plenty of time to plan a doozy.

Marie said...

If anyone deserves a Break, it's you and Corrine!!
M