Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Love You, Baby

Major disaster averted today! I thought my laptop died. My beautiful little purple plum, the joy of my days. I turned her on at the cafe, all ready for a serious stretch of intense work... and nothing happened.

Nothing.

No screen. No moving lights.

Okay, I thought, stay calm. I'm probably out of battery. Of course, when I packed up before yoga I forgot to grab my power cord. I revised my work plan. I'll just switch Dellilah Plum off and head home to electricity.

I pushed the power button and nothing happened. No turning off, no turning on - just a steady glow. I wrapped her in her bag and we left.

When I arrived, 15 minutes later, I pulled my sweet friend out. She was burning up. It felt like the high grade fever that children will develop in an instant. And she was making a horrible noise, a choking, whirring sound that I had never heard before and assumed was a fan desperately trying to cool her off.

"Oh my God!" Panic tightened its inexorable grip. I immediately began resuscitation efforts, holding her in the cool breeze from my window, fanning her and even blowing into her to try to cool her down before she died completely!

Panicked calls ensued. Staples couldn't help me. I didn't want to wait to talk to Dell. I needed my computer and I needed her now. I easily spend six to eight hours each day using her, pretty much all the time I'm not actively doing parenting/family care, which takes another six to ten hours each day.

She is my work, and my soul. What would I do without her?????

Fortunately, I found a small repair store that answered their phone. Eric talked me through popping out the battery and when that didn't work, I drove her over there, coddled on the back seat, me telling her that everything would be okay.

Just like with kids, by the time Eric was carefully checking her over, Dellilah Plum seemed just fine. Her temperature was normal and she looked great. Eric turned her on and off a few times, checked that Norton was working, and confirmed that she didn't have any viruses.

"So I can just take her home?" I gave a huge sigh of relief, feeling the tiredness that comes after adrenaline.

Walking through the parking lot, I cradled her gently in my arms.

And vowed to back up my files more often.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

My lovely blue laptop DID die a few months ago - it was less than 2 yrs old... tragic.

Marie said...

I know. They're so frail and delicate, aren't they? A constant source of worry...

Oh, wait, isn't that children?

I'm so confused...

Lovely day to you and your working technologies!