Friday, October 2, 2009

Blogging and Reading

Dearest readers -
I've been thinking a lot about this blog lately. I'm feeling quite a bit of guilt at vomiting up my personal traumas and the roller coaster ups and downs of my life. I mean, it's so wonderful that you care, and that you've stuck with me through this turn towards the darkness.

But it seems somewhat unfair.

My writing here is unpredictable. One day it's cheerful, the next literary, the next traumatic.

My friend Michelle said something that really struck home with me. I offered to give one of her books away to my readers and she replied that she was only targeting "book blogs." Now I understood what she meant, and why. And it's perfectly valid. It was a nice way of saying that she's looking for focused blogs with stronger readerships.

But a little part of me went, Wait, my blog is a "real" blog. My blog matters.

Then I started to reflect on just how much this blog is all over the place. Because I am ALL over the place. And this blog reflects me.

Which is awesome. Nothing wrong with that. I started this blog to "begin" and I did. For a year , I've practiced and now - I'm ready to branch out.

So starting this month, I will be focusing my writing into themed blogs. Addresses will follow in a few weeks. I'll assign the aspects of my varied life into different topics, so that readers to each blog can find subjects of consistent interest to them. ( And you won't be scared by nasty stories when you're only looking for a little happy boost! Those of you needing companionship in the horrors of life can find that on my Heartbreak Blog.)

This blog will stay here (because I can never bear to destory records from the past) and I'll still be writing here when I want to just ramble, to write primarily for my own benefit.

But no longer will you have to be subjected to lengthy explorations of my life. Because honestly, you've got your own life you're living and I bet it's way more engaging to you.

Thanks, though.

No comments: