Monday, October 12, 2009

From Faith to Theft to Shopping

Today, I am back to an "old-school" schedule - AM yoga class, then working at the close-by cafe. The cafe has just about finished a remodel and feels welcoming again. Cinnamon tiles, warm wooden paneling and tables, and navy, pumpkin and ecru walls generate a crisp feel of purposefulness. I love that each table is filled with people like me, chatting or working away at text or laptop, and providing welcome distraction each time I glance up.

However, I'm not working too long today. I've decided that I get to spend part of each day doing the errands and being out and about in the world without dragging tired children along. It's just more efficient to shop quickly without them. I'll come back to my work in the evenings, and have something to do while they do their homework. It's good for them to see me working and to share that with them. Otherwise I'm just sitting there with them, doing nothing but helping with math problems. That's not my best use of time since I already passed all my math classes.

We had a fabulous and interesting weekend. Went to church again. We've joined the one in our neighborhood where most of our neighbors attend. It's so close, we walk, much to everyone else's admiration. Really, it's just a pleasant stroll through the lovely fall morning.

On Saturday, I wrangled a date for my children with my parents. Called up and said, you must take them; Shawn and I NEED time. They love each other and delight to visit so that was all good. Then the husband and I had a fabulous date - silly movie, evening stroll, hot cocoa, twinkling lights, ultra romantic courtyard lounge complete with outdoor fires spouting like magic from chunks of glass. Fire and ice with a kicker of vodka.

I came away from the weekend feeling ever so much better. Hopeful again and more settled. Faith-filled. Deciding to just let things be good. Instead of wanting anymore, I am simply being. Acting as if what I want is already in place and happening.

Which actually it is, to an astonishing degree.

Yesterday, we witnessed a robbery. High drama in our small town. A troubled teen stole the tip jar from our favorite donut shop worker. He really could not have been more lame. First, he hung around for more than 20 minutes so we all saw him really clearly. Then he borrowed the shop's phone to call his father, leaving said parent's number behind on phone's memory. Then he stole the jar and ran straight back home to his nearby apartment complex. The girls were a bit scared; Shawn was furious and chased him for a while. The donut shop worker called the police and we gave our statements.

I feel so bad for that kid for making such a stupid choice. It's pretty clear that he called his (absent) father in the next county and wanted his attention. When he didn't get it, he decided to act out his anger/frustration/need for love/whatever through theft. Now he'll have his dad's attention, especially since the donut shop worker called his father and told him the whole story. That took an extra couple of hours out of the day.

Still though, we made it a good life lesson for the girls. Like, duh, doesn't it seem really stupid to steal? Also got to model for them how to be a caring neighbor and do the right thing.

I'm helping Shawn with some research for his grad class today, so before I get into that, I get to go shopping! Now that the weather is so lovely, cool and blessing us with drizzle, I can use some new jeans. Also, I want a leopard scarf. To go with my awesome sweater and bracelet and shoes. Then I'll have the fifties flavored ensemble.

No comments: