Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Committed - An Excerpt

Having greatly enjoyed Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love, I couldn't wait to read her new work Committed. Part memoir, part reflection on the state of marriage, Committed is not the book I would ever have written about marriage, but I'm finding it intriguing nonetheless.

"And now that memory - that sound - swam through me, too. I even felt as though I could remember it, despite having never met Felipe's father, who died years ago. In fact, there are probably only about four people alive in the whole world who remember Felipe's father at all anymore, and only one of them - until the moment Felipe shared this story with me - recalled exactly how that man had looked and sounded when he used to swim across wide Brazilian rivers in the middle years of the last century. But now I felt that I could remember it, too, in a strange and personal way.

This is intimacy: the trading of stories in the dark.

This act, the act of quiet nighttime talking, illustrates for me more than anything else the curious alchemy of companionship. Because when Felipe described his father's swimming stroke, I took that watery image and I stitched it carefully into the hem of my own life, and now I will carry that around with me forever. As long as I live, and even long after Felipe has gone, his childhood memory, his father, his river, his Brazil - all of this, too, has somehow become me." p239

4 comments:

Michelle Moran said...

Beautiful!

* said...

I've read some amazing reviews of Gilbert's books, and this one (quote included) doesn't disappoint.

Thank you for sharing it.

green ink said...

I've been very curious to read Committed, as both Eat Pray Love and this one have been published at auspicious times in my life when I am on the doorstep of the same experiences she writes about...and her writing is beautiful.

Marie said...

Hi Phil!
Let me know once you've read it - I'd be very curious to know how it strikes you, and how it feels compared to EPL. I, also, found both books relevant to my own life journeys.

You know, we have a huge trial going on in California right NOW about the nature and definition of marriage, vis-a-vis Proposition 8 and whether our state and society can bear to extend marriage to those in homosexual relationships.

Hope your own plans are going deliciously!
M