Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Resolution


Like fiction, Life is a series of conflicts and resolutions.

Our refrigerator stopped working this month. It varied temperatures wildly and sporadically for a few weeks and then completely stopped being cold. No freezer, no refrigerator, no sanitary food storage.

It was the same week that my car was in the shop, being repaired for an accident that wasn’t my fault. It all seemed a bit too much to bear. With a deep sigh, I shared this thought with my daughters:

Given time, most problems will come to seem trivial.

And that’s true. They do. Situations that seem so difficult to deal with at the time become nothing but mildly unpleasant memories. Either the problem gets solved, or the problem gets ignored long enough that it no longer is a problem. Very few drastic events stick with us in a drastic way for the long term if you think about it.

Time and Occupation are great healing forces.

For example, my pneumonia is gone. It didn’t kill me after all. One month later and there’s not even a trace of a lingering cough or shortness of breath. Thanks, yoga.

And other things are solving themselves as well, the way they always do.

Plus I have nothing but Occupation to keep me… well… occupied. In fact, in the car this morning I heard a song with lyrics about synchronizing watches. And I truly thought it said “synchronizing washes.” Because that’s how much laundry I do. Literally a few loads each day. So the thought of synchronizing them made perfect sense to my brain.

Plus I had laundry on the mind. Last night for a class, I wrote a story that takes place in a Laundromat. I wrote it just as a lark, but I was very pleased with how it came out. Sort of made me want to write a whole series of laundry-based stories. Maybe I’ll even post it here (if it’s not too much of a copyright infringement!!)

Because there’s even conflict… and resolution… about laundry.

No comments: