Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Sixth Photo from the Sixth Folder on my Ancient Computer


A blog friend "tagged" me on her blog and asked me to post this photo. Normally, I'm not big on following directions, but what the heck.


Here's the story behind it - just for you, Elle.


My husband S accompanied our younger daughter on her class field trip celebrating the end of 1st grade. It was a hot June day, over 100 degrees, but they walked more than a mile from the school to the park and then back. S was with her every step of the way.


Hence, the floppy hat and sunblock. Water was the biggest commodity of the day.


I was there as support, setting up the picnic tables, running to the store for last minute drinks and cookies. (I was smart enough to bring my car!)


The kids had a great time. What's heat when you can be out of class and running around with all your friends? The teacher even got drenched with ice water by the rowdy dads!


The best thing about S and me as parents is how much we are there for our daughters. When something is going on at school, we arrange our schedules so that we both attend. It's one of our top priorities.


I'm glad he was the one who did the walking!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, it's a great opportunity to share a slice of your life. :o)

Marie said...

Very true.

Of course, that's my whole blog too! :)

M

Unknown said...

Always warms the heart when parents actually do things with their kids


I'm not that cynical. I KNOW there are thousands who get involved every day..

Sadly, I see more who aren't

So, kudos. I know, I know, you feel it's like saying congrats to someone who loves their child, but seriously. you should pat yourself on the back

Marie said...

Thanks, Andrew.

I feel quite guilty about not getting more feedback to you about reading your novel. Surfacing is quite marvelous - and I'll say this here: Your understanding and depiction of the parent-teen bond was warm and real and true and one of the things that made reading your book a real pleasure!