Friday, February 20, 2009

Writing

I've been doing a lot of functional writing lately. Which is to say, writing that serves the explicit purpose of being my job. Which is to say non-fiction. Which isn't to say that writing which doesn't connect to my job isn't functional.

Because it is.

All writing serves the purpose of connecting us - with others, with creativity, with the self. Sometimes I think the writing without "purpose" is the most important of all.

Reminds me of a quote I used to have posted in my classroom. "Writing should serve as the axe for the frozen sea within." I think that's it. I think it's Kafka. Feel free to check me.

Good writing to you all!

2 comments:

Bridge said...

I love that quote, I am not too skilled in this area. It always comes out how I talk, which is not too perfect.

Marie said...

Sometimes writing how you talk is just exactly perfect!
:)
M