Friday, September 26, 2008

I LOVE this book!


(Also posted on Amazon. com)

Autumn is here and so is The Heretic Queen – two blessings at once!

What I love about Michelle Moran’s books – besides her lush, descriptive prose – is how very much I learn while reading them. When I picked up Nefertiti, I knew next to nothing about Egyptian history. Now, through Moran’s skillful descriptions, engaging characters, and well-researched story, I feel as if I were able to travel back in time and experience first-hand Nefertiti’s court and the events of her life.

The Heretic Queen, Moran’s second novel, is similarly marvelous. The moment I started reading this account of the lives of Nefertari and Ramesses the Great I was swept back into that ancient world. Moran pulls off with ease that most difficult feat for a historical fiction writer – balancing historical accuracy with an interesting story. Whether you are a serious scholar or just looking for a fun read, The Heretic Queen will delight you.

You might also want to check out Michelle's blog: History Buff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... sounds just like my kind of reading. Thanks for the recommendation. Jotting this author down on my list of books to read.

Not sure if you like fiction, but have you read any of Anne Rice's books? The topic of vampirism scares a lot of squeamish folk away, but her books are really art forms. The way she strings words together, the images and smells and emotions evoked are palpable, visceral. You might liker her work as well.

Happy Reading!

Marie said...

Hi Elle -
Oh, that's awesome. I actually know Michelle quite well and I'm so excited for her success!

I've never read any Anne Rice but I'll bear it in mind. I recently finished Elizabeth Gilbert's story collection Pilgrims and I was really impressed by how quirky and imaginative her fiction is.

I need to look at your profile again, because you have a LOT of great books on there, many of which I've read.

Here's to books!
Marie