Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Moving Forward

I've been in a bit of a snit lately. (Okay, that's a masterpiece of understatement. I've been struggling with full-blown depression, losing about every other day to either hiding in bed or wishing I was hiding in bed.) But I just can't keep it up any longer. There is just too much good and interesting stuff going on in the world for me to keep wasting my time on bad energy.

The more I look at it, the more I come to terms with the fact that there are some people you just can't count on. They may sound like friends; they may promise to care about you. But care is either there - evident in your life - or it's not. You can't do much to make somebody live up to their promises.

Ideally, you accept people for what they do offer, appreciate that, and distinguish between those worth a big investment of time and energy, and those not. And - this is the hard part for me- maybe some people you just write off as being bad people. Maybe not everybody is caring and redeemable. Maybe you just go, Huh. Sucks.

And then you stay away.

Because the world is FULL of good and loving people to spend your time with. Anybody who truly is a friend will seek you, support you, share their life with you, be warm and caring when you have a chance to talk. That's what I do with my friends. It seems to be a good standard to use.

Because of my past experiences with rejection, I have a very hard time accepting that someone would not want to be my friend. I can find myself in that monkey-mind place, whirling around in the desperation of trying to be better, friendlier, more supportive. Oh, why won't they like me? What can I do?

But, you know what? Maybe I don't really care that much. If I have to put in so much effort, maybe I should just stop. Maybe, instead of always trying to be a big person and come from a compassionate mind, I could just stay pissed off, hurt, angry, vengeful and snarky. Maybe I'm not the Buddha, and I don't have to become him right this moment today.

Then, maybe, just maybe, I can spend my energy enjoying the fabulous people I do love, focusing on the projects that make the world happier, and letting my anger be the rightful expression of emotion it should be, instead of bottling it within.

Because anyone who wouldn't realize how very worth the effort my friendship can be doesn't really understand what they're missing out on, and I'm better off without people around me who can't exhibit understanding.

8 comments:

Corrine said...

AMEN!

You deserve the best of friends. Your kindness seeps out in all that you do and say. All the support that you, yourself, give without expectation.

You are AMAZING, girl!

Marie said...

Awww. Thank you, Corrine, my friend-across-the-country!

See, I have lots of people like you in my life; it's okay to cut my losses on the others... I don't have to win 'em all!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie, thanks for coming to my blog and commenting. I've actually written a little about friends and their capacity to give support before. Its certainly true that you find out what people can handle in times of stress.

I simply try not to judge others who can't be as supportive as I'd like them to be. I mean, its part of who they are, where they're at.

I have huge issues with rejection too, but unless you actively try to extricate yourself from that situation, you won't get anywhere in a hurry. That's one of the things I'm working on now...

Unknown said...

Damn. Corrine beat me to it!

Well, anyway, I know exactly what you mean. I'm so quick to rationalize the bad behavior of "friends" when really I should just see them for what they are: a drain on my energy.

Marie said...

Yes, Andrew, sadly enough maybe that's just the case sometimes. I guess the key is not letting your energy be drained. If I can only master that, then I can be friendly with people in many circumstances. That's my goal - but I'm not quite there all the time yet.

It's so nice that you and C both commented! What a quality couple - I have told you that you two are my role models for romance, haven't I?????

Marie said...

Svasti-
I'm so glad you dropped by!! I know that your advice is the path of wisdom and happiness - I do plan to get there eventually, but I may need to meander a bit for the time being...

All the best to you!!

green ink said...

Oh my. This is something I really needed to hear right now. Thank you for writing so eloquently and profoundly about something that has really been troubling me. If you have good people in your life, then that's enough and you don't need to win them all, as you put it.

May I second (or even third!) the notion that you deserve nothing but the best of friends.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

xx

Marie said...

Dear Green-
I just LOVE your blog! I'm so glad this is helpful to you; I was afraid that I just sounded whiny.

I'm staggered by the fact that something going on in my life here has implications for your life in London.

Isn't writing amazing??