Friday, May 22, 2009

Positive Thinking

Flush with my success in sending out a story and having it published, I've decided to continue the trend. It's pretty hard for people to decide to publish stuff that's just sitting on my computer. I have several decent pieces languishing, waiting for their shot at the limelight.

So out they'll go - spreading their wings and seeking new heights.

Since I cracked the college lit journal barrier, where else is there to go but up?

And I'm not just going up a bit. Nope. I've decided to shoot high. Fire a rocket to the literary moon. My next story "The Bones Beneath" is going straight to the New Yorker itself. Why not? What if, just what if, they actually published it? My goodness. Then I'd have to admit I was really, actually a... you know... a writer. Gee...

More likely, I'll get an awesome rejection letter from them. From the New Yorker! Writing to me!! And it can go up on my writing wall! My name, mentioned by the New Yorker. (dreamy sigh).

Reminds me of Garrison Keillor's comment: I'd been writing for the New Yorker since I was in high school. They just hadn't know it yet.

A sense of humor and fun is a definite plus in this adventure!

6 comments:

Positive People said...

Beautiful photo and a great blog.

Unknown said...

Good luck

The only way to know is to try...

Marie said...

Right?? Right?? I mean, why not? It should amuse me, at least.

Thank you, Positive. Glad you like it!

Tangledally said...

You never know until you try.
Best of luck!

I loved the quote too!

green ink said...

What great aspirations you have, and the only way you will know is if you try! Good luck! I'm tempted to send a story to, just to get a rejection letter from them :D x

Marie said...

Thank you, Emma. I like your blog by the way.

Green - Oh yes. Do send a story! Wouldn't that be fun? Let's set a deadline and then I'll be forced to actually follow through, and we can compare rejection (or acceptance!) letters. :)