Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Lovely Lunch

In case you've been wondering, my intention of kidney donation is moving along nicely. I estimate that I am about 60% through the approval process. I had another screening exam today, and I am still feeling so blessed to be part of this experience.

One thing I'll know for sure - that my health is excellent! They are going over me with a fine-toothed comb, well, practically. You can't donate unless you are absolutely problem-free.

One small hiccup is solved. During the last few months, my recipient and I have had lots of conversations and emails. I've been keeping her in the loop about everything; otherwise, due to medical privacy laws, she wouldn't know anything about the approval process progress. They can't tell her about me, but I can. So now, instead of an "altruistic donation" to a stranger - which tended to give everyone an extra hesitation and make them question me intently - "Are you SURE you want to do this?"- I can honestly say that I'm donating to a friend.

K is an amazing, wonderful person, so dynamic and positive. We could not be a better match in our experiences, and spiritual outlooks and beliefs. She's just warm and funny and relentlessly optimistic. When she went on dialysis in January, she decided that she would have her transplant by summer. That's just incredibly soon for a transplant waiting list. And look - here I am. She set her intention, and I showed up from nowhere. It's an honor to be part of.

Today, my husband and I had lunch with K and her boyfriend, our first face-to-face time since I made the initial offer. We continue to hit it off . I see really good things coming from this, most importantly that she is freed from dialysis and returned to a vibrant, independent, healthy life.

And, who knows? Maybe an article or book, or we can do some advocacy work on behalf of other transplant patients.

6 comments:

Corrine said...

An amazing gift you are giving, and a great friendship I am sure is being forged! I have never met a more giving person.

Marie said...

Now I'm just blushing...
You know, it's just what I would hope someone would do for me, or my loved ones.

Anonymous said...

This is something I've thought about doing myself, donating a kidney "to a stranger". More food for thought, after reading over your experiences.....

Bridge said...

wow! this is amazing, what a gift to another. the gift of life. i am happy to hear of your health.

Marie said...

This whole experience is a wonderful opportunity to focus on and enhance my own health as well. It's so true - you never give anything to anyone without blessing yourself in the process.

The joy and strength I have received from my recipient have been an amazing, appreciated gift.

Tangledally said...

What an incredibly selfless act. It's very interesting to read about your experience.