Monday, June 8, 2009

On writing and art (auctions)

I don't really have much of anything today.

Or rather I have little bits of lots of things, and not much time to develop anything properly.

I've come across lots of quotes lately that I'd like to post here, but I don't have them to hand right this second, and I'm too lazy to get up. I could give you another song I like - I've always got loads of those - but then again I'm a writer, not a DJ.

I could tell you that I'm rather proud of myself for finishing up this week's assignment for the nonfiction class I'm taking. It's an online class, and I've been completely lax about it. Honestly, I have to spend most of the time I can scrape out of my other daily responsibilities and allocate to writing on writing for my work. So I don't get to do nearly enough fiction, or poetry or just journaling or even email. But I knocked out the pages of article, focusing on incorporating quotes, and I even made it factual although for the class we're allowed to just make it up. (But then wouldn't it be fiction instead??)

I love the teacher. His lessons are clear and well worth the money even if I never did the exercises and got feedback. But his feedback is insightful and sharp. What I love the most is that he sincerely really likes my writing. So each exercise earns me wonderful words of validation as a writer. It's completely worth the cash right there. Last week he told me my article was the best nonfiction he'd seen in years.

Now maybe he's just a talented snake-oil salesman, but he comes across as utterly sincere. It's very validating.

(Not that we need to be validated externally. As Pema Chodron would remind us, that's just another attempt to grab onto solid ground where none exists. Someday I hope to convince my ego of that as well.)

I wrote about the origins of the successful art auction fundraiser that took up most of my weekend. It's a big chunk of annual income for one of the nonprofits I work for, and I've helped to organize it for the last four years. And I do mean "helped" as in I don't do it all by myself. Rather there are like 100 people involved in various capacities and about 20 people on the main committes all with differing opinions of what should be done and how. It makes for challenging event planning, but it always comes off fine in the end.

And so it was yesterday. 65 pieces of art, 200 attendees, 2 1/2 hours of silent bidding, and wine. Did I mention the wine? The highlight of yesterday for me was sampling a deliciously light and fruity Italian red that sipped almost like a white merlot. As a reward for my efforts, I got to have a spare bottle and bring it home with me.

I'm saving it for a moment where I need to relax and unwind.

And when I have time to indulge in that.

2 comments:

Ursula said...

Ha, you are still writing and blogging.....and so good. I love it. Smile.

love
Ursula

Marie said...

Funny, huh?

I look forward to the day when we share a yoga practice and then a bottle of wine!!
M