Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why I Welcome Rejection

As you see in my post below, my story got kicked back to me this week. Thanks, but no thanks.

That rejection should have stung like the dickens. But it didn't.

I was actually quite happy to see it.

When I thought about how curious that was, the reasons were instantly clear to me. One, there is simply a certain amount of rejection inherent in life. You can't please everybody, all of the time. So rejection is the opposite side of the coin for Acceptance, the needed balance. It's only logical to assume that I will have my fair share of shrug-offs in my life.

Two, being rejected as a writer certainly puts me in good company. I don't know any fabulous and successful writer who hasn't had work rejected at some point, some of them, numerous times.

Three, did you hear what I said up there? Being rejected puts me in good company as a WRITER! I think this, more than any other, is why I feel happy instead of sad. Getting that rejection is proof that I had a story worthy of submission. It's proof that I made a good attempt at the process. It's proof that I actually do think of myself as a WRITER. (yay)

When I was a girl, I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. I had no idea how to become one. I had no understanding of process and craft. I just loved to read. Now, I live as a writer every single day.

And I love it.

No comments: