Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Year of Goals and Growing



In August, 2010, a friend and I were sitting in this cafe, sharing about our lives. At one point, we realized that neither one of us had much of a vision for the future. We simply didn't know where we where going, or where we WANTED to go.

That conversation stuck with me and disturbed me. With no plan, how could I measure growth? What would pull me into a future I would enjoy occupying?

So, I made some goals. They were simple, focused, and extremely ambitious. I wrote them in huge letters and posted them on my fridge where I would see them every day. Over the last 13 months, I certainly haven't met them.

But I have made excellent progress.

It seems to be that now would be a particularly auspicious time to revisit the goal process. Time to re-evaluate and re-set what I hope to achieve. Oh, I know it's not New Year's or summer or any of those occasions, but it just feels like a good time.

So - here are the goals I have in mind for the next four to twelve months:


1. Get Fit - I'm currently about a 2 on a scale of 1-5 possible fitness. I'd like to be a 4, able to perform more strength, stamina and flexibility functions than many people.

2. Lose Weight - This goes with goal one, but isn't necessarily synonymous. Still, though, I plan to cut back the sugar and junk, reduce the intake, and drop 40 pounds by the end of January, with more to follow throughout 2012.

3. Be Mindful - In all things, I will take my time and pay attention. When I eat, I will eat. When I write, write, When I shop, shop. And so forth. Plus it's good to breathe throughout the day, really breathe, breathing like nourishment for the body.

4. Serve 20 new clients by October 2012 - About two per month. This is going to prompt me to reach out, make phone calls, send letters, flyers, networking or whatever else it takes to make new contacts.

5. Write 10 new stories - less than one per month. That's nothing really. Just a good steady pace and certainly possible.

6. Submit! - Put every decent story I've completed so far into the submission cycle. And keep it there until it gets published!

7. Write a Nonfiction Book - I had this idea more than a year ago and I've been churning it around since. Today, it's come back to me more focused and complete - and more in line with what I stand for. I have chapter ideas, research content, interest, etc. I'd like to write at least one chapter per month - again easy, right?- and start querying in March 2012. By October 2012, I want the manuscript complete and publication by October 2013. I think that's very doable and then I will finally have a book to my name!



And that's it, I think. Relationship-wise things are going super for me. I have tons of loving family and friends. Financially too, we are blessed with balance and abundance. My kids are great. I'm practicing and teaching yoga professionally. Yeah, just a bit more fitness, some career growth, and more writing - with results in the world.


Sounds good.

No comments: