Monday, February 6, 2012

Crash and Hiss... ssss...ssss...

“All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality,
the story of escape.
It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times,
how to escape.”

– Arthur Christopher Benson (1862-1925)

Reading the quote, I find
My eyes lingering on the final word.
Escape.
I trace the curve of the "s"
The round of the "c" with
First my gaze, and then
My finger

And between their sinuous curls
I am pulled through the word and
Open onto an ocean shore
The curling sibilance of the waves
Crashing as echo of the curving
Curling letters of the word

I see the word as one might
Notice "see" and find myself in
"Space" the vast openness promised
In the "pace" and the "cap" of white
That licks from the waves onto the
Shore

And all the while I search for the
"Ease" through all the waves of black on white
And also throughout the "sea",
The Sea,
Always the Sea...

No comments: