Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Always Revising 2

O, Blog, You are so tempting. Calling to me even more than food (which is actually a GOOD thing) and particularly more than work.

Okay, just a short chat.

I'm on my way to Upland now, because I didn't go yesterday. You'll remember that yesterday I changed my plans and went out for a working lunch in the cafe. Problem was, by the time I finally got everything together and bustled in the door, surrounded by that deliciously warm coffee aroma, the heart of lunchtime had arrived. Every table near an outlet was taken.

Since my trusty, bulky laptop has a battery life of approximately 11.38 minutes, and since I couldn't even draw that much work from it as it was completely uncharged, the lack of electricity meant I couldn't write.

So I just stared dreamily out at the street and counted passing cars. I would have eavesdropped on the other customers but a complete silence reigned below the piped-in music as everybody lucky enough to have a plug-in tap-tapped at their little keyboards. I think the young woman nearest me was writing a paper for her business management class, but it looked pretty dull.

After eating, I needed to head back home to work. Just to make myself feel like I didn't drive all that way to eat a waffle, I popped in to the Trader Joe's. I bought 1 gallon of milk, 2 quarts of eggnog, 1 pint of half-and-half, 2 bananas and a bottle of brandy. (What ?- for Christmas cooking!!) We're big on the dairy products in my home.

However, I'm glad to report that just being out with other people did make me feel more social. On the drive home, I got through 3 important business calls. (Because there's no better time to talk business than when you're hurtling along at 80 miles per hour with no possible hope of taking any notes. I just agree a lot and really concentrate.)

Yesterday, I finished one grant. I made myself get out of bed at 2:30 am so I could have several hours of silence and finished the other. All emailed off and waiting for their owners (?) by 8:30 am.

And, now, I get to head out to the office and start a whole new round of work.

Maybe I'll stop by Trader Joe's and buy some vodka, cornflakes and chocolate. I like to be useful!

No comments: