Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My New Motto - Hayride!

The other night I was laying awake in bed. It was dark. It was quiet. My mind was hopping from thought to thought in that way it loves to do, just like a squirrel in a tree.

I was musing and I was fretting. Suddenly I heard a deeper voice. "Hayride!"

"Um, excuse me?" demanded my thinking mind, somewhat peevishly.

"You heard me - Hayride!" the voice exclaimed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" My mind is not very happy about being interrupted.

The voice explained. "You are WAY too serious about everything. Don't you know this is all just a game? Do you think all this is real? It's just a lark, an adventure. You're supposed to enjoy it. It's like a big fun HAYRIDE!"

Really? My deeper self feels that I am taking the problems of my life too seriously. I should instead conjure up the image of a worn wooden wagon, golden scratchy bales of straw, and the steady brown and white horses plodding along before it? I can just see myself, sitting on that hay, feeling the sun on my head and shoulders while I look around curiously at the farm and laugh with the other passengers and...

Oh. I see. So that would be a better lens through which to see my existence? Just kind of focus on enjoying the ride and seeing the sights. Hmm.

Hayride - my new motto for a long and happy life.

2 comments:

Bridge said...

yep, its better when you see it that way

Marie said...

Hi Bridge -
I made my friend laugh. I told her, You just have to hope a wheel doesn't fall off or you'll be having a Haywalk instead!

Best to you and yours!
Marie