Monday, March 5, 2012

Hmm... Need to Write SOMETHING

I'm taking an online writing class. The first assignment is due by tonight and I am already stuck.

The focus of the class is writing Memoir. I don't know that I ever want to write about my own life in any consumable way (other than here, obviously) but I was totally in the mood for another writing class so I grabbed it. A bit of instruction, some constructive feedback, and the requirement to write about something other than nonprofit work sounded like a vacation.

The assignment for tonight is easy. Too easy. Write two pages about a memory. Use description to provide a setting and interesting detail that gives specificity.

My problem is that I cannot come up with a single memory that I feel like writing about. I keep waiting for my subconscious to suggest something... and I keep coming up with blank. Of course, I've thought of many memories. But they all seem either too personal, or not personal enough, or pointless in a bigger picture.

I'm sure I'll churn something out between now and midnight. Can't wait to see what it will be.

Of course, I'm busy as always today. Both girls are sick, and that means they both have to go and sit in my yoga class in another hour because I don't have any other thing to do with them. I'm on my third week of feeling congested and bleah myself. I have two proposals to finish by tonight, and two more to do every day this week. And I should call one of my clients and chat with him about our newest possible funder.

So, yeah this memoir class is a bright spot. It's good to know a little bit about a lot of different types of writing. Just in case I ever find myself needing it.

No comments: