Thursday, October 30, 2008

Affirmative

I've known for quite a while now that when I'm feeling depressed, worried or anxious, the best thing to do is find something positive and move in that direction. Doesn't really matter what - cleaning the house, cooking a meal, chatting with a lonely friend, yoga practice, writing something good - as long as I focus on the positive energy and moving forward, things improve. I feel even better if that energy involves some way of helping others. Nothing lifts me out of my doldrums like connecting with someone in a way that makes the world a better place.

To that end, I attended a grant writing workshop yesterday that turned out to be fantastic. The instructor was organized, knowledgable, personable and friendly. Best of all, she agreed to critique proposals for me at any time!!! Now I have a mentor who can give me feedback on my writing. (It's not like fiction you know.)

Since then, the skies have opened and freelance offers have rained down upon me. I am now writing for not just one, but four nonprofits! I have steady work until at least summer with the potential to develop more if I can fit it into my schedule!! I am so happy - there's nothing better than getting paid to write in a way that helps good causes and helps those in need.

3 comments:

Michelle Moran said...

When I told my mom you were grant-writing she almost cried with happiness. She told me to give you a HUGE hug (this one will have to be a cyber-hug until we see each other next!) and tell you congratulations! I imagine it's not an easy field to get into, and look at how well you're doing. Seriously impressive.

Marie said...

Hi Mich!
Oh, that is too sweet! Cyber-hugs back to you and mom.

Thanks for the support - I'm very excited.

Marie

Dots said...

My personal experience - arranging parts of the study, or kitchen, or closet ... anything like that.. anything that uses energy to create order out of randomness makes you feel better.