Thursday, October 2, 2008

Downtown Upland, Cupcakes and Blue Cow


After my emotional upheaval today, I found myself in Historic Downtown Upland. I hadn’t planned to go there. But I wanted to pull off the freeway and marshal my forces, and Upland seemed as good a place as any.

When I saw the blocks of small shops and cafes, I remembered that I had been here once before. It’s a lovely little place really. There are antique shops and restaurants, flower boxes and some trees. Oh, and a huge and very impressive Chinese pharmacy with an intimidating array of brown-twig herbs and medicinal powders.

I ducked into The Local Baker and the staff could not have been nicer. Maria and Jesse were prompt, helpful, and, gasp!, sincerely friendly. I enjoyed a level of service that can’t be taken for granted anymore.

I bought two chocolate teddy bear cupcakes for my daughters and another for me. It was so yummy, just melt-in-the mouth sugary heaven that I went back into the shop and picked out a birthday cake for my upcoming party. Chocolate covered with chocolate and topped with pink roses. Jesse even suggested that I sample the vanilla custard filling to be sure I would like it.

As I juggled my boxes on the way back to my car, the display in the windows of Ferro Enterprises – Finest Collectibles Gallery caught my eye. Normally, “collectibles” are not my thing. But on display were adorable six-inch high statues of cows that made me think of the cows roaming about India.

These cows were replicas of Cowparade, the art exhibit first featured on the streets of Chicago in 1999 where various artists were given a life-sized fiberglass cow to embellish. Check out the cowparade website and perhaps you will be as astonished as I am. Apparently this is the largest public art event and has occurred in cities all over the world. It’s even coming to San Diego in 2009! There are over 1000 photos of art-cows online here.

The cow that stopped me was like a canvas for a painting fantasy. Decked out in blended shades of aquas and indigos, it had green vines crawling up its legs and lilac horns. Stars and moons dotted its flanks. It looked simultaneously Universal, Spiritual, and soothing. Plus it was just pretty.

The price was right too; a hand-lettered sign proclaimed that all cows were 50% off.

Unfortunately, the shop was closed. Darn, the luck! Now I’ll just have to go back some other time, because I am quite sure that Blue Cow wants to come home and live with me.

If you’re in the area, drop by Downtown Upland. I think you’ll enjoy it.

Just don’t buy Blue Cow before I do, okay?


(For laughs, check out this cheesy commercial. Actually Upland is much better than this I-wish-we-were-having-a-better-date video would have you believe!)



No comments: