Thursday, October 16, 2008

Try Tadasana Today!


I paused a moment while writing that last post. A good chunk of my readers are into yoga - that's why they're reading this blog. So when I throw out pose names, they can follow right along. But at least half of you aren't so experienced. So, this is for you.

What follows is the type of direction I'm learning to give in my teacher training. If you haven't done yoga - or you just haven't done it today - I'm asking that you give these instructions a quick try. Yes, I'm talking to you, M, and you too, E. And you too, you know I am.

Read through once or twice, then stand up by your chair and do this asana. It will only take two minutes, and I guarantee you'll feel better.

First, take just a moment to get calm and focused. Let your breath deepen and feel how it fills your body. Imagine that the gentle hum of your computer is the trickle of water. In the background, the low murmur of music hangs in the air. You catch a whiff of spicy incense.

Now come to standing. Take off your shoes. Feel the ground beneath your bare feet. Wiggle your toes just a bit and balance yourself into your body. Another deep breath.

If you can, bring the inner edges of your feet together, big toes touching. If you can't, bring your feet close and parallel.

Root your heels into the ground and feel your leg bones lengthen up the backs of your legs.

Root the balls of your feet and the pads of your big toes and stretch your other toes out to the sides of the room, adding space across the bottom of your feet.

Feel your body begin to stretch and lengthen. Elongate through the fronts of your legs, feeling your knees lengthen, your quadriceps strong.

Roll your inner thighs towards each other and under your body toward the back of the room. Now your stomach softens and lengthens, pulling up strongly with a feeling of space and lifting your chest and heart.

Your tailbone floats gently under, curling beneath you, buttocks relaxed, as your heart, chest and ribs open with each breath.

Your neck stretches up, lifting your head. Your arms hang down from your shoulders, near your legs, but not touching, with energy flowing down your straight fingers into the ground below.

Let your shoulders relax up and back, away from your neck. Spread your relaxed collarbones, lifting them up and over your upper ribs. Feel your ribcage lift and expand like a balloon.

The crown of your head lifts taller and taller as you breathe and grow upward from your rooted feet. Enjoy the breath and the sensation of space throughout your skeletal structure.

Ta-da. You're a Mountain! Tadasana!

Good job - don't you feel better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh...

To answer your question, yes, I've some experience with Yoga. I'd like to have more experience with it, but I typically need a good hour of it to firmly claim any real benefits, and life is simply to hectic for me right now.

Instead, I get my exercise by way of the occasional 30 minute bout of Pilates or a race to the bathroom with my youngest (who loves to "win me" in an impromptu sprint).

Good luck ont eh scarf -- plug away at it, my friend! :o)

Marie said...

Hi Elle -
I know what you mean. If I don't attend a class, practicing at home is really difficult.

I notice though that I'm happier even if I just squeeze in a pose here or there. Like take 3 minutes to do Tadasana or a few standing poses while I'm cooking at the stove or during commercials (on the very few occasions that I ever actually sit down and watch TV any more.)

To exercise and time management!
M