Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Deeply Contented

I cannot believe this day! How did I ever, ever get here?

The whole family's back to school. My daughters were thrilled to start third and fifth grades, and they came home raving about their teachers. We're so pleased. (Even if it is totally confusing to start school in August. August?!! Is it summer or fall? It was 104 degrees yesterday and after school, we went swimming!)

I surprised my husband by accompanying him to this teacher work day yesterday and helping him set up his classroom for this next year. We knocked out bulletin boards like a world-class team - 8 boards in one morning. His classroom looks so fantastic!! All yellow, red, and blue with flag borders and stars everywhere. (He teaches US History.)

I told him to consider it an early birthday present. He was so proud of me for coming with him. It hasn't been easy for me to be near schools and such after stopping my own teaching. But, like any long lasting grief, bit by bit, things keep getting easier.

Which brings us to today. First, I hit my favorite nine am yoga class. Aah, the stretching... Then, I popped over here, to what used to be my favorite Redlands cafe. I haven't been here in absolutely ages. They're in the middle of a rather disastrous remodel, with blank walls and chairs and counters scattered about. I used to come here all the time, when I was lost and lonely and hunting for work.

Now, I'm a published writer. I'm a registered yoga teacher. Best of all, I own my own business and have a KICK-ASS job!! I am working RIGHT NOW. Getting paid to sit here, sipping my blended chai and researching grants for my favorite nonprofit. Browsing through emails. Sending back responses. WRITING things.

Man, that college degree did pay off! :) I am so unbelievably lucky!

2 comments:

green ink said...

Go you!! What a happy, positive post - and everything that you're basking in is well deserved. Enjoy it xx

Marie said...

Thank you so much! I figure, it's only fair to share my positive news when such good things are happening for me.

Even if conflict does fuel interesting writing, sometimes I just want to be cheerful and bask.

I wish you even more success with your own writing work. Let me know the minute something gets published!! I can't WAIT to read your stories.

(What is this BBC4? Radio? How would a rather hopeless American access that?)

xx Marie