Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Interrupted by a Knock at the Door

I had finally stopped playing blog, and settled myself into the concentration required to comb over and over passages of proposal text, making small tweaks and references, when the dogs barked and I heard a knocking.

I opened the door to two young teens, dressed in shirts and ties, carrying Bibles and pamphlets and looking at me expectantly. The taller one immediately cleared his throat and started talking non-stop, interspersing his rehearsed doctrine with nervous giggles.

The younger one waited silently, shifting his weight from foot to foot in his support role. I stayed quiet and watched them kindly, waiting for a natural pause.

The older one was quizzing me about the state of my soul. "We understand most people have their own religion. You probably have your own religon. " He looked past my head to a cross hanging in the entry. With a vague wave, he continued quickly, " I see that you do. Okay, you're Christian. It's good to be Christian." He fumbled for his Bible.

I could almost watch the gears turning, the flow chart paths in his head, hear the careful training someone had given him. Hmm. So one cross and I'm Christian. That's just because you can't see the pentacle in the bathroom, the angels in my bedroom, the ohm on the mantle or the books of Wiccan spells by my bed, I thought.

Children! You are just children. I am old. You have no basis to teach me about Faith.

He was intently quoting Matthew at me, asking about my future inheritance plans. Right, God, I thought, I will be mild-mannered.

With a smile, I did what I always do in this situation. I sincerely thanked them for taking the time to share something so important with me. Then I shifted the conversation to them, complimenting their church and being encouraging. Turns out the younger one starts seventh grade tomorrow. "Are you scared? " I asked. He nodded with a swallow.

"Don't be." I reassured him. "Every seventh grader there will be feeling the exact same way. In a week, you'll be all settled. And the teachers are there to help."

They didn't even notice the way I had turned our exchange, that I was reassuring and supporting them instead of vice versa. I offered water as I always do and shook their hands.

"Good luck," I said, shutting the door as they walked away. I love it when God sends an opportunity for kindness to my door.

Children! Sheesh.

3 comments:

Ursula said...

Oh, I love this new picture on my blog.

I'm in a hurry to go to bed.
Best wishes. xx U

Anonymous said...

Awwww... that's sad and sweet all at the same time. I remember being young and indoctrinated. I'm glad you were so gracious, so kind. You might have made all the difference in their day, and ultimately given them a memory that just might make their future lives more blessed.

Marie said...

Right, Elle? What's the point of being mean to someone who has good intentions...

I really felt for them because they were so young - I couldn't help but reflect on how their youthful ardance would be tempered by life experiences. You know what I mean!

Thank you, Ursula! That's the Pacific Ocean at sunset near Newport Beach, CA. I adore the ocean in all seasons!

Sleep well!