Tuesday, August 25, 2009

You're Not Just Saying That?

Okay, I apologize in advance. I realize my blog of late has been relentlessly upbeat and just...so... darn positive. I don't mean to brag and I certainly don't ever, ever mean to make you feel bad. It's just SO nice to be feeling so much better after not.

And great things just keep happening lately.

So I just had my long first meeting with my newest client, the kind where I ask tons and tons of questions and try to find out everything I need to know to write something comprehensive.

At the end, he turned to me and said, "I just have to ask. How old are you?"

I laughed. What a chance! "How old do you think I am?"

"Uh..." He wisely hesitated.

"Go ahead, tell me," I said. "I'm not at all sensitive about it, but I am curious."

"Okay. 32?"

"No, I'm 40, almost 41."

"Really?" He looked at me speculatively. "You carry it very well. It must be your hair and..." He sort of trailed off.

I couldn't help remembering the dialogue in the story I wrote just yesterday. "Really? Truly honestly? You thought I was 32?"

"Yes," he said gravely. "I did."

HURRAY!!!! (Okay, I'm not sensitive, but I'm not past rejoicing either!)

(I think he was evaluating my age because they're considering me to do some marketing and development for them, and I think he wondered if I had enough depth of experience. So, yep, I do because I am pretty old. And I've lived through a lot. I just didn't want you to think he was hitting on me - because that would have been a bit creepy.)

No comments: