Friday, August 7, 2009

Localities

At the “local” Farmer’s Market today, I bought my family strawberries that had been picked this morning in Santa Maria!

I don’t know exactly the driving distance to Santa Maria, but I know it’s incredibly far away from here. That’s quite the expanse of state to travel.

Based on my conversations with the regular farmers, it’s not unusual for them to get up and pick the day's produce in the earliest morning hours and then drive 100 miles or more to make the market. You have to go where the customers are, I guess. It’s just one more reason why I like supporting their work.

People are willing to go any distance – especially if their economic survival depends on it.

2 comments:

cryptonomico said...

and you! Driving to get our produce and returning to put it all up. Realizing your integral part in this buttery business partnership thing. Nothing makes a winner out of you as much as saying, 'I'm a winner!'. Feels better because of the struggle maybe. Well here's to the warm buttery, spicy, independent yet commited, prize-what-is-you!
PHSOL!

Marie said...

;)

Kisses,
M