Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Countdown to Christmas - Giving Day Two

Tuesday, November 28, 2012

We just spent four days with my brother, his wife, my 3 year old gorgeous neice, and my year old adorable nephew. Along with my parents, in an open rented house on farmland tucked away on a hill in Arroyo Grande.

I like my sister-in-law a lot, but she seems to struggle to find her balance in life. From my point of view, she has so many blessings, but she always appears to be overwhelmed, exhausted and unhappy. Caring for two children is a lot of work, so my heart goes out to her.

Since I know that I'll enjoy and benefit from giving for the next month, I thought perhaps a nudge towards generosity might help her as well. My gift today was that I ordered her a copy of the book that got me started: 29 Gifts - How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life. I know this book probably won't resonate with her; it will probably be a seed falling on barren ground.

But you never know. Sometimes you just have to cast the seeds and tell yourself that at least you gave it a shot. You tried your hummingbird-best.

And really, that's all any of us can do.

No comments: