Sunday, November 4, 2012

Memoir One

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again -- writing memoir is not as easy as I think it will be. Geez, there's a lot of work that goes into this!! I can see how the revision process is endless.

I always think memoir will be a piece of cake, because it's only my own experiences and memories but it's so hard to get the scope of the memories right. How much time to spend on each detail, what to put in and what to leave out -- it's just tricky.

I'm working right now on my first assignment, since I joined the class a week late. We have to write about an accomplishment. The teacher says to cover four steps in showing a reader something big or little accomplished by you:
1. Why did you have that goal?
2. Show the process
3. Disappointments and Surprises along the way
4. Achievement and how that changed you

I'm trying to write about learning to speak French, and eventually even earning French friends and a social group with my language skills.

But, again, it's not easy to get all the way from high school to my 40s and keep it narrative as well!!

No comments: