Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Exercise 5 Comments

"Okay, no beating around the bush. I’ll just get right to it. This is, hands down, the best memoir piece in the group for this lesson...
Awesome work, Marie!  A huge “thumbs up.”  I’m really happy that you wound up being a part of this class."
*******

I'm not trying to brag here. What I'm doing is capturing my mentor's comments to remind myself to keep writing -- that I have both reasons and talent, and that if I make the space, I have things to say.

It never fails. If I take a class, I WILL sit down by Monday and type out something. No matter how reluctant I am, no matter how I wish to be otherwise engaged. With a deadline, I meet it. Without a deadline, I push it off and don't get to it.

And the stuff I produce under pressure, even with low motivation and not feeling particularly fired up, is usually pretty darn good.

The piece being commented on was a depiction of a family member and our interactions at various points in my life. I liked what I wrote about my aunt so much, and it brought back so many wonderful memories, that I'm thinking of expanding it out and sending it to her children for Christmas.

I guess this is today's gift to me.

No comments: