Thursday, September 6, 2012

Snark!

This is my funny new word.

Okay, it's not exactly new. You've probably heard it used before in a different context. And, apparently, Lewis Carroll actually coined it in 1876 for a poem.

But, it's new to me. To me, it's a sound of delighted surprise. SNARK!?!

The other way to say it is with the same assessing admiration that 30 Rock's Liz Lemon uses to say "Twist!"

Try it. It is a great word. It's my new motto. For some reason, I was lying in bed last night and it just sprang to mind. And it kept making me laugh. I could just hear it. I started saying it aloud and busting up. My husband just looked at me. My daughter wandered through, and once I explained what I was doing, she looked at me too and said, "I'm so sorry for you, Dad."

That reminded my husband of my recent unraveling of his metacognitive comic. He's a big fan of XKCD, and XKCD featured a strip about Douglas Hofstadter. Specifically his six word biography. I've looked at the strip tons of times, because it pops up on my husband's laptop a lot. And I always chuckle, yeah, yeah, it's about metacognition. That guy's so smart, he just starts a sentence. Then, we were eating in a restaurant the other day and I said, "Wait a minute! It's an Acronym! Oooohhhh!! I get it!! Ooh, that's even more funny!"

S and my daughters were like, What? You never got that before?

It reads: I'm so meta even this acronym...

I'm sure you readers get it right away, because you're very smart. So, S brought that up last night when I was rolling around giggling. He said, "You know, I used to have a friend smart enough to understand my favorite comic. He liked those metacognitive authors too. Yeah, he really liked what I liked." He sighed and tried to fall asleep.

Snark!

No comments: