Friday, September 7, 2012

So, I'm Sitting Here...

...with my glass of red wine and a hunk of chocolate. It's a very nice, full cabernet and the chocolate is dark and crumbly. My daughter just wandered through and said, "Work wine? Do you need some cheese and crackers to go with that?"

Have I mentioned how much I adore having two sweet daughters live with me?? : )

I'm doing research that has been a long time coming. So far I've found several freelance grant writers' sites with their scope of useful articles and their prices. My boss and I are right in the range, both experientially and price-point wise, so that's encouraging. I've seen some interesting tips, but again, nothing new or groundbreaking, and that also makes me feel like we are right in the running with our experience.

I've also found at least 10 organizations in the area that are advertising positions for grant writers or development staff. The pay they offer isn't very good -- usually only about $20 per hour for full-time hours. My plan is to approach them with our materials and show them why hiring consultants is both cost-effective and program-effective. Why not? The worst they can say is no thanks.

In the long run, I do want to go back into a full-time job, something to keep me well-occupied when the girls are older. But for the next few years, I prefer to focus here. I love my flexible daily life, and the pay is good. Also I have two book projects to complete within the next three years. I want to at least give those a good shot before I commit all my hours to a single workplace again. I've asked myself whether I want to go back to teaching. I don't know. I loved that career and I excelled at it. I had a lot to offer. But I don't know if I would feel comfortable there in the future. It may be that I have been too changed. One possibility that feels more comfortable to me now is running workshops or trainings for adults in the nonprofit sector. My boss does that and now I'm ready to join in, I think.

All in all, it's not a bad day. I got laid off due to reduced work load and I already have an action plan, some research, some confidence and a list of clients to approach.

No comments: