Thursday, January 31, 2013

Planning, Planning

Both girls and I woke up groggy and achy today. Being dutiful, I got myself up and made all the meals and tried to wake everyone up in time for school. But they just weren't with it.

So I said forget it. I'm not in the mood for school either. If you feel half-sick, stay home and rest. Avoid that terrible (deadly) flu making the rounds. I don't even care right now about stupid grades and all that. I mean, they are smart girls so they learn no matter what we do.

So, we're home. Although I'm tired, I'm starting to feel slightly more cheerful. More hopeful. By the end of the night yesterday, I was wiped out exhausted. So tired I started crying with frustration. Then I stopped because it was too much work to cry. :)

So now I'm thinking about all this work that I put so much pressure onto myself about. I read some book review in the LA Times that made me think about writing. 150,000 words was cited as a goal length for a novel. Hmmm, I thought. Hmmm. Let's do a bit of math. Yeah. That's 500 words a day for 300 days. That's a novel in a year.

I write 500 words a day easy, just here. Now, I know a novel is VERY different. It has structural demands, plot, more to sustain -- all of that. But, still....

The ADD part of my brain is very intrigued. And you know what kind of novel I want to write. Nothing literary. Usually my writing is VERY literary. All symbolic and moody and just meaningful. But you know what I like to read? Engaging, well-written books about women like me. Books about easy events in life that can take my mind off of my own day for a bit. Books with relationships and mild drama, and food and friends and shopping. Shopaholic series books are my ideal fun reads.

I'm also still wanting to do the children's books. And maybe some freelance articles. And some nonprofit topic articles. Plus the grants. I'd like to do about 3 hours per day on grants. 1-2 hours on other writing. And then an active, completely different job. Something out in the world where I get to move around a lot and be a bit bossy and help others. Something that can segue into a full time position in three years when the girls hit high school. In time for me to be full-time employed before college payments begin.

Does that sound reasonable?

So I would have to plan my writing time, then mostly show up at the page. Designate one of those days a week for articles. Research job possibilities that I like. Keep building my steady grant business. Spend some time each week increasing my knowledge base there and making contacts. Maybe join some organizations and network a bit. Keep doing yoga three times per week. Keep doing mom stuff. And just blend it all together.

So... 5:30 - 6:30 am Writing
8:30 am - 11:30 am Grants
Noon - 4:00 pm Yoga and errands
4:00 - 6:00 pm Dinner and chores
6:00 - 8:00 pm Research, Networking, Business Building

Okay, that's the only schedule I come up with, over and over. It's dictated by the school day and my responsibilites. Maybe I could work two days per week, and extend the morning work schedule into Saturdays.

Goals -
Write 2 articles per month.
Write 2 children's stories per month.
Publish 5 children's stories within 3 years.
Write one novel per year.
Publish a novel within 4 years.
Write 5 grants per week/20 per month.
Earn base income.
Earn future income.
Find job in 2015. Work 25 years.
Save enough money to pay for two college educations in total.
Pay off house within 10 years.
Save for retirement.

No comments: