Thursday, August 2, 2012

My August Project - Giving

I picked up a book in a thrift store last month for a dollar. It was titled 29 Gifts - How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life.

Since I like nonfiction, first person writing, and because I like to give, it intrigued me. It hasn't been the most thrilling book I've ever read, but I've enjoyed the basic concept and appreciate how much giving to others came to mean in the life of author Cami Walker as she coped with her debilitating Multiple Sclerosis. She even created a website that sparked a movement that continues to this day.

I like the idea of mindful, purposeful Giving enough that I decided to put that energy into play in my own life. As I've mentioned, the start of a new school year is a time of fresh beginnings for me. It seethes with energy and transformation. I happened to notice that I have a huge opportunity for change coming up at the end of the month - just 29 days away. So I decided to go for it. As part of my preparation and transformation to support a momentous change in my own life, I am going to give mindfully every day from now until then.

And I'm going to detail my gifts here, on my very energetic blog.

But that's not all. I've been feeling the need for another kind of giving in my life. And that would be Giving Away. Yes, I simply have too much clutter around me. I tend to love things. I buy things. And then I store things. And while I often greatly enjoy my possessions, sometimes I feel like they are an emotional drag. So I'm interested in channeling positive energy through myself by clearing away any blockages. Into those drawers and cupboards, I'll go. Behind those closet doors and into the corners where stuff tends to accumulate in the swirling current of living.

Each day I'll give something to someone; each day I'll clear out a blocked up area, no matter how small, and eventually I'll donate those things I don't need as well.

On to our month!

No comments: