Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Writing and Talking

Do you think writing is a type of talking? To me, when I write I hear my really clear, conversational voice in my head. It's similar to the inner voice that sort of narrates my days and circles through my thoughts.

So, when I write, I often have that sense of conversation, even if I'm typing something I know that nobody else will ever read. It nonetheless feels collaborative and communal, like sharing my thoughts and feelings. That's why writing feels so companionable to me and I enjoy it greatly.

Some writer said, "First and foremost, I write for myself. My only audience is me." And I know just what she meant by that.

But I'm wondering lately if writing and talking come from the same place. Because if I spend too much time around other people, it seems like my energy has been drawn off, and then I'm not that interested in putting my thoughts into written form. Conversely, when I'm more alone, like this morning, I'm more motivated to write. Perhaps a bit of isolation in a writer is actually a good thing?

Robert Frost said that, "Talking is a hydrant in the yard and writing is a faucet upstairs in the house. Opening the first takes the pressure off the second." I've always wondered about whether that was true or not. Maybe it's different for different writers?

No comments: