Thursday, August 2, 2012

New Routines - Making Dinner

As part of the new-school-year-gotta-get-routines-and-MUST-save-money deal, I've been doing more meal planning and cooking. Shocking, I know. In a former life, I was apparently a princess who could be waited on hand and foot. But in this life, the money goes out WAY faster than it comes in, and I need to slow that gush down.

So I whipped up tonight's dinner in under 10 minutes and it is merrily bubbling away in my handy crockpot. Thought I'd share it here as it is a recipe of my own invention, and is very tasty. Also flexible in amount so it could be made for a large group, or amounts reduced for one person or two.

Green Chicken

Take your crockpot and put in pieces of cut up, boneless chicken. Most people will want skinless breasts; I use thighs because I prefer the rich flavor of dark meat.
Add one cut-up onion.
Drain and add one can of green beans.
Add one jar of Salsa Verde (I use Trader Joe's brand, of course!)
Add a bit of alcohol for flavor. I usually use about 2-3 tablespoons of whiskey, but you could use beer or tequila or vodka.
Add spices and pepper to taste. (Usually I go with oregano, bay, maybe some dill or parsley. It's up to you, really.)

Stir well, cover, and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high setting.
Enjoy with potatoes, rice, or tortillas. It comes out more like a flavorful stew than a spicy dish. Enjoy! :)

No comments: